Florian,

Gruber, Florian wrote
> Why exactly would digital signatures in PDFs based on specs prior to v1.7
> no longer considered to be safe?

In addition to Bruno's answer consider that *ProcSet is considered obsolete
since PDF 1.4*. Thus, the verification software either is based on PDF < 1.3
or buggy: at least in respect to ProcSet, but ignoring the PDF specification
in this regards may indicate that other standards, especially security
standards, also are not correctly handled.

Security standards from before PDF 1.4 indeed are outdated, and buggy
verifiers also are not to be trusted.

Regards,   Michael