That is correct – you cannot place a metadata stream in a Signature Dictionary.

Can you point us to this “national PDF-based electronic signature spec”?  Seems
like it may not be valid…

From: Petras Petkus <petras.pet...@mitsoft.lt>
Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 7:41 AM
To: Post here <itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [iText-questions] Metadata in signature dictionary

I have a question to PDF experts regarding placing metadata in signature
dictionary.

Our national PDF-based electronic document specification defines metadata which
may be included into signature dictionary. ISO 32000-1 section “14.3.2 Metadata
Streams” states, that “Metadata, both for an entire document and for components
within a document, may be stored in PDF streams called metadata streams”.
Therefore as a component, signature dictionary may contain metadata entry.
Section “7.3.8 Stream Objects” states, that “All streams shall be indirect
objects”, but this requirement clashes with the requirement for signature
dictionary entries in “12.8 Digital Signatures”, which states: "When a byte
range digest is present, all values in the signature dictionary shall be direct
objects."

I looked at the earlier (2014) draft of ISO 32000-2 and those requirements were
not changed, probably this contradiction will remain unchanged in the final
version.

Does that mean that metadata stream may not be included in signature dictionary?

Thank you in advance for any input.