Brian,

I think the problem has to do with reinstalling or updating exisiting apps.
 I installed the wigit before then reinstalled with xwalkctl.  After that
the 'tizen.application.getCurrentApplication()' fails.  I then uninstall
using the xwalkctl.  Followed by Installing with xwalkctl and the
application may then access 'tizen.application.getCurrentApplication()'.
 So seems that there is a requirement that an app get removed before it
gets installed again.

Art