Thanx Michael
i tried to use the link you have given.
 i changed my code and i was getting null pointer exception at
DOMImplementationRegistry.newInstance();
I realised this was because i was not using the correct import. But when i
tried to import "import org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementationRegistry;"  it wasn't
recognizable.
 i also downloaded Xerces-J-bin.2.9.0.tar.gz  , to get the latest XercesImpl
jar.. but i didnt find the above import. Could you please help in this.

Thank you
Richa