Hello Michael,

Thank you for your response.  If I cannot replace the DTD specified in
the DOCTYPE tag, then short of removing the tag all together, does this
mean there is no way for me to get XML validation to work (since that
does require notifying the parser about my schema XSD file).  Or can I
get this functionality by returning null from the resolver and then
assigning a schema to the parser/validator?

I tried to reduce my "schema" tag definition in my xsd to:
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";> but I still get
the error.  I suppose my error is result of the resolver issue rather
than the namespace declaration.

John

> I have an XML document which has a DOCTYPE tag referencing a DTD.
> Instead I want to reference an XSD which specifies this document
> structure.  I use the XMLCatalogResolver to detect the publicId in the

> DOCTYPE and replace it with a URI pointing to the XSD.

You can't replace the DTD with a schema. Whatever you return from this
call to the resolver needs to be a DTD (in other words must match [1]
the extSubset [2] production from the XML 1.0 specification) or null if
you want the parser to use its default resolution mechanism.

> I think this
> part is working, however I get an error during the sax parsing:  "The
> markup declarations contained or pointed to by the document type
> declaration must be well-formed."  I believe the XML is well-formed
> because if I omit the DOCTYPE tag from the XML document the parsing
> occurs without error.  The namespace in the XSD is
> "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov"; and I don't have any reference to
> namespace in the XML document.  Is this what the error is refering to?

If your schema has a target namespace and your instance document
declares no namespaces you need to change one of them in order for your
document to be valid. Either add a namespace declaration to the instance
document or remove the target namespace from the schema document.

<snip/>

> TIA,
> John

Thanks.