The code that does the loading from a string is as follows:

                org.w3c.dom.Document   document = null;
                try {

                        DocumentBuilderFactory factory =
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl.newInstance();
                        factory.setNamespaceAware(false);
                        factory.setValidating(false);

                        DocumentBuilder builder;

                         builder = factory.newDocumentBuilder();
                        document = builder.parse(new InputSource(new
StringReader(xml)));

                return document.getDocumentElement();
                }

I can see in the document element that is returned that the changes have
been made from the source string.