I think, there's a general consensus in community and also so far in
this discussion, that JDK 1.3 support can be dropped safely for
Xerces-J.

Now it's a question of selecting a min level of 1.4 or 1.5 for Xerces-J.

I'm aware of projects, which still work with JDK 1.4 (and there are
plenty working in maintenance mode, and are adding or changing
functionality in JDK 1.4 environment). I think, it's good if we
provide support for JDK 1.4 for a while.

So I would vote for min JDK level of 1.4 at the moment, for XML Schema
1.1 support in Xerces-J :)

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi