John,

Aren't those distinct issues?  You're referring to thread safety of the DOM itself.  Karthik's question is about a DOM Parser.  I can understand why one might want to use the DOM across threads (though I also understand the reasons for the lack of thread safety), but I can't understand why one would expect a DOM Parser to be thread safe?

BTW, can you be more specific about where exactly you synchronized around the DOM API to make it thread safe?  This information could be very useful for others.

Anyway, it seems to me that Karthik might be sharing a DocumentBuilder across threads.  The code he provides calls a method "getDocumentBuilder(isValidating)", but he doesn't provide the implementation of that method.  I suggest he ensures that the DOM builder object he returns from that method isn't shared across threads.

BTW, Michael, regarding DOM thread safety, maybe you can clarify something for me?

In response [1] to my question about whether a cloning a shared master DOM would be thread-safe, you said...

"A cloned node has the same owner Document. Still not thread-safe.  Importing the Node into another DOM instance (i.e. different owner Document) should work though."

But in a later response [2], you referenced your own responses [3][4] in an older thread where you appear to state that cloning should work fine, as long as Xerces is the DOM implementation.  And, for my purposes, I can guarantee that Xerces is the ONLY DOM implementation I will use.

So, once and for all, is a cloned document, per servlet request, thread-safe?  Or do I need to import the whole document rather than clone to completely "disconnect" it from the cached master DOM?  If so, how much more overhead, if any, does importing entail than cloning?

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xerces-j-users/201106.mbox/%3COF4131DFD0.6AD897A4-ON852578A9.005D5922-852578A9.005E65AA%40ca.ibm.com%3E [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xerces-j-users/201106.mbox/%3COFA17E2F96.2D497417-ON852578A9.003594B3-852578A9.0036902E%40ca.ibm.com%3E [3] http://markmail.org/message/s7aniecyk4kwckdg#query:+page:1+mid:7fl65aw5rryyljtv+state:results
[4] http://markmail.org/message/jserv2iaeivutuuk

Jake

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:49:24 +0000