Hello,

Joseph Kesselman wrote on 7. Mar 2024 19:41 (GMT +01:00):

> What concerns are you actually trying to address?

The main concern here typically are DOS protection and generally constrained
Resource usage when libraries parse and execute things.
…
> And I *think* I remember Xerces adding the ability to limit depth of
> parsed entity recursion, if you're worried about abuse of those.

Yes Xerces has the Security Manager, and the JDK jax-p makes
use of that with stricter defaults for them when
FEATURE_SECURE_PROCESSING is requested. The secureValues
of the limits are used then:
https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/7c5e6e74c8f559be919cea63ebf7004cda80ae75/src/java.xml/share/classes/jdk/xml/internal/XMLSecurityManager.java#L139

When you go Jackson or DOM all is pretty bleak, however. And you still need to
do
accounting of allocations in your own code and handlers.

Gruß
Bernd
—
https://bernd.eckenfels.net