But why would the type erasure on the map be the deciding factor here? The
type of the value is known at runtime, it is Bar, it has a property lol -
that gets serialized no problem, clearly it knows the type and therefore
can see the @JsonTypeInfo annotation on the superclass. I don't have to do
objectMapper.writerFor(Foo.class).writeValueAsString(foo) to get the type
information included, it is included by calling
objectMapper.writeValueAsString(foo) directly. I think for the most part I
don't understand this inconsistency. What does it matter that now it's a
part of a collection?

Thanks for taking the time with me on this. At this point between you
showing me the typed writer and looking at source for
resteasy-jackson2-provider, which is what I'll be using to build something
that matters, I think everything should work as it's supposed to and I
won't need the getter. I suppose this is an artifact of how I set up my
prototype.