On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 5:06 AM, Michal Aron <aron...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> May somebody please have a look at the following problem?
>
> It is about nested polymorphism into another object and it fails on
> nullPointerException when it meets attribute using abstract class
> declaration.
>
> In other words it fails to determine which concrete entity to use when
> parent entity for that attribute is using abstract entity.Or it never does -
> since it never enter the deserializer.
>
> Problem:
> 1) I am acting as a proxy, getting requests from UI and forwarding them to
> the other system.
> 2) Before sending the response back to the UI I am mapping it to my local
> DTO schema of that remote system – so we can have power over what we send to
> the UI..
> 3) That system sends completely ambiguous data structure depending on their
> count. Imagine entity object with attribute member. If that member is only
> one, that attribute is object. If more than one, then that attribute is
> array.
>
> So you see my point now.. I have 2 DTOs for this case – 1 is when member is
> object, 2 is when member is array and they both inherit from abstract
> parent.
>
> But this isnt all.. That schema I just described is wrapped into another
> Wrapper object where I am using their abstract parent for the attribute
> type. That wrapper is needed because that remote system returns 0 or 1 or >1
> objects in the very same attribute of that wrapper but of different type
> also. So it looks like this:
>
> public class Wrapper {
>     @JsonProperty(“wrapper”)
>     private AbstractWrapper wrapper;
> }
>
> public abstract class AbstractWrapper {
> }
>
> public class WrapperString extends AbstractWrapper {
>     @JsonProperty(“dto”)
>     private String dto;
> }
>
> public class WrapperObject extends AbstractWrapper{
>     @JsonProperty(“dto”)
>     private AbstractDTO dto;
> }
>
> public class WrapperList extends AbstractWrapper{
>     @JsonProperty(“dto”)
>     private List<AbstractDTO> dto;
> }
>
> public abstract class AbstractDTO {
> }
>
> public class Impl1DTO extends AbstractDTO {
>     @JsonProperty(“member”)
>     private String member;
> }
>
> public class Impl2DTO extends AbstractDTO {
>     @JsonProperty(“member”)
>     private List<String> member;
> }
>

> I have both deserializers for this registered. It will check if member is
> type of Object or Array or String and determine the concrete class. This
> works for the Wrapper Polymorphism. However it doesnt for nested
> [...]

Although code is missing some of the relevant code (how is the
deserializer registered f.ex),
as well as actual stack trace (what is null?), I'd be guessing that this:

    return mapper.readValue(root.traverse(), variantClass);

might be it. Specifically, `root.traverse()` creates `JsonParser`, but
not one with codec assigned (where would it get one?).
But I think there is another variant that takes `codec`, or, if not,
simply call `setCodec()` on parser. And that would make sure
you at least are not missing codec (ObjectMapper).

But wait! There's more. Instead of relying on codec, much/most of the
functionality is actually available via DeserializationContext!
For example, it's possible to call `readValue()` there to read
`JsonNode`, something like

   JsonNode tree = ctxt.readValue(p, JsonNode.class);

and similarly for other types. This is more efficient way (it avoids
setting up of context), and retains some more of contextual
information
(any attributes you may have set).

-+ Tatu +-