On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 8:04 AM Tim Jacomb <timjaco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi

Hi!

> Just a question on the naming of this release (2.10.0.pr1),
> Is this pr suffix normal for jackson for a preview release?

Yes, it was used with 2.9:

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.fasterxml.jackson.core/jackson-databind

and prior to that we have tried similar approach, although some
variations (rc -> release candidate).

> We have a couple of tools we use for dependency updates and they don't handle
> this naming format (pr1)1, 2
> i.e. our repos keep notifying us there's a dependency update available but we
> don't wish to update to it because it's a pre-release version, (we have
> workarounds but it's all per repo config and we have a lot...).
>
> 1. dependabot, (supported patterns)
> 2. gradle-versions-plugin (default patterns)
>
> Ideally a regular suffix would be used such as alpha, beta or rc (release
> candidate), so that tooling in the ecosystem doesn't need to adapt to another
> format.
>
> Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about it.

It is unfortunate that there isn't (... as far as I know...) much in
way of standardization.
I don't think Maven gives any specific semantics, beyond using
alphanumeric ordering for that part of version ("qualifier"?). I don't
think if Gradle has well-documented semantic rules here

History of attempts so far has been such that with 2.7 we found out
that use of hyphen (2.7.0-rc1) broke some platforms/tools (OSGi?).
which lead to adoption of 4-part versioning. Choice of "pr" over "rc"
was simply due to what I thought would be better semantics: these are
not release candidates in the sense that no changes were planned.

But... had I known that one works better with some tool chains, I
would have considered that option better than alternatives.
Unfortunately I do not remember hearing about this before, so no
correction were made since 2.9.

So. At this point I think it would make sense to learn more about what
practices would work best. I am open to changing naming, and was
actually sort of considering alpha/beta/delta/gamma as a possibility.
`rc` has been used in the past and I am not against using it iff there
are clear benefits.

I would be interested in hearing from others: any additional pointers,
suggestions, feedback? At very least it would be good to figure out
improved naming for 3.0.x releases, if nothing else. (with 2.10.x
there is also the question of continuing with `prX` since there is
already one out, so problem already exists)

-+ Tatu +-