On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:26 PM Randy Tidd <tidd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have this case on my current project, we are using the builder pattern and
> have an embedded generic object that requires an external type id. Based on
> this code this appears to not be supported and based on true comment this has
> been an issue since 2012.
>
> https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-databind/blob/7765422a77991995cd4d11b5ebb31ad96dc69bdd/src/main/java/com/fasterxml/jackson/databind/deser/BuilderBasedDeserializer.java#L818
>
> My question is why this is not supported as it seems to be a pretty
> straightforward and useful case, and if there is any known workaround or has
> anyone implemented this
> themselves? I was going to take a shot at it if there are enough hooks to use
> a custom deserializer.

It would definitely be great to get a PR for enabling it (along with
simple unit test to show functioning), if that turns out doable.
As the author I have a feeling there at least was some fundamental
challenge to solve that seemed big enough to scare me... but what do I
know. :-)
(I do not recall details but my guess is that this is due to
implementation of external-property-based (de)serialization being
rather hairy AND due to builder handling also being somewhat...
involved. Rendering combination thereof bit... challenging)

-+ Tatu +-