On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 6:58 AM Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:

> > On 11. Aug 2019, at 04:45, Tatu Saloranta <t...@fasterxml.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Thanks for your response. These plans sound great!
>
> >     - Question: should replacement methods use different naming from
> > old methods, to allow easier searching for "dangerous" methods,
> > without having to check argument lists?
>

> I see this is already implemented as #activateDefaultTyping. Making it
> easier to discover/ban unsafe methods seems like a major benefit.

Yes, I figured that there isn't that much downside and that many larger
codebases still rely on textual search for finding out usages.

> (I tried to let more active Jackson users respond first, but this doesn't
> seem like a topic of much interest on this list.)

Unfortunately participation does ebb and flow a lot. But I appreciate
giving others a chance to have a say, that is a good practice to get wide
coverage of opinions.

So: as of now, I plan on starting to request that submitters only include
versions up to 2.9, and in case 2.10 is added try to rectify
classification. My understanding is that maintainers at Mitre are pretty
good in this, and are aware of challenges of classifications, metadata.

Also: on somewhat related news -- as per my email on `jackson-dev`, I
decided try try out Tidelift (https://tidelift.com), and sign up as
maintainer of (some) Jackson packages. They provide managed subscriptions
to sort of curated OSS library versions, and share some of revenue with
maintainers.
My hope is that this could help both me (and other lead maintainers that
might be interested in joining, f.ex for Kotlin, Scala, Java 8 date/time,
Hibernate, JSON Schema) spend more on doing OSS and also due to work I have
to do as "Lifter" -- add more version metadata, release notes, issue notes,
security notifications, clarify licensing, vuln disclosure practices --
hopefully improve Jackson usage experience by subscribers (at first I
assume, bigger companies).
So I think that there will be more documentation on expected flow of
security disclosures, too.

-+ Tatu +-