>  In this case question - can CloudFront be configured to use a non "AWS SSL
> Certificate"?

Sure this is possible, you can import your own certificates in AWS certificate
manager, which is used by CloudFront. But which certificate would you use for
this that does not require regular rotation like let’s encrypt?

Therefore I only see two options:

a) We host the update site. For this we also need to host the eclemma.com
<http://eclemma.com/> DNS Zone so AWS certificate manager can do all the magic
automatically for us.

b) Eclipse foundation hosts the site and manages the certificates

Maybe we just ask Eclipse IT what would be their preferred solution.

Cheers,
-marc
.