On 08.09.20 17:29, Jan-Marc Stranz wrote:
> Thank you for the response!
>
> The linux kernel created as described starts.
>
> The kernel configuration option "CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT" is set (
> CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT=y).
> All other configuration options with "*IOMMU* are not set (as I already
> mentioned).
>
> The kernel command line contains "intel_iommu=on".
> "dmesg | grep DMAR" returns an entry "ACPI: DMAR ..." (that is new for me).
>
> However, I still cannot create a configuration for the root cell with
> "jailhouse config create"; I get the same error messages again:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/libexec/jailhouse/jailhouse-config-create", line 270, in
> <module>
>     (iommu_units, extra_memregs) = sysfs_parser.parse_dmar(pcidevices,
> ioapics,
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyjailhouse/sysfs_parser.py",
> line 377, in parse_dmar
>
>     raise RuntimeError('DMAR region size cannot be identified.\n'
> RuntimeError: DMAR region size cannot be identified.
> Target Linux must run with Intel IOMMU enabled.
>
> So I still don't have "a booting setup for Jailhouse"!

Even worse: You do not even have a standard Linux system being able to
use full virtualization support of your platform, e.g. via KVM. That's
like trying to build desktop system without being able to use the GPU.

Again, you (also) need a working kernel with INTEL_IOMMU activated. Boot
a live stick or any distro image on your system to collect the
configuration - and also implicitly check that IOMMU hardware support is
fine via Linux. After that, you can switch things off as you like and
fiddle with Yocto.

> What do you mean exactly with "you will still need the Intel IOMMU
> parameters"?
> Do you mean the kernel configuration option "CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU" or do
> you mean the kernel comand line entry " intel_iommu=on"?

No, I'm talking about the fields in your system configuration that
"jailhouse config create" fills based on the available platform
information. But that is not fully available when Linux is not fully
using the IOMMU.

> Why is the option "CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU" not included in the configuration
> fragment "jailhouse.cfg", if this is required?

If you are talking about meta-agl-devel: I suppose that wasn't targeting
x86 so far.

> I hope that at some point I will come to a system configuration that is
> useful for jailhouse.
> I am already using everything that is provided in the "meta-agl-devel"
> layer with regard to linux kernel and jailhouse.

I think I described clearly above what I consider as a more reasonable
first step.

Jan