On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 01:28:32 +0000
Peng Fan <peng....@nxp.com> wrote:

> > Subject: Re: ivshmem-net issue
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 09:08:28 +0000
> > Peng Fan <peng....@nxp.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jan,
> > >
> > > When booting inmate Linux, I have ivshmem-net configured. In root
> > > cell it shows as eth2.
> > >
> > > I monitor system network, and see eth2 is assigned a random
> > > address.
> >
> > This is not "random", this is where some dhcp-clients end up when
> > they do not receive an answer to their requests. It is a fallback
> > when there is no proper DHCP server and machines still want to gain
> > an address to potentially communicate. (zeroconf APIPA)
> >
> > So it is worth checking the DHCP server to see why it did not hand
> > out an IP. Maybe because of the random MAC that Jan talked about.
>
> What do you mean DHCP server here? The eth2 is created by ivshmem-net,
> it has no physical connection.

Well if you do not have a DHCP server in the other cell, you probably
should not be running a DHCP client. And looking at the address you are
running one. You probably do the whole setup on the kernel cmdline and
that works until userspace goes and configures that interface as well
... again. You have to tell userspace that this one interface is off
limits and already configured.
How to do that depends an what is doing that, probably nm or systemd.

Henning