> What would be a proper proposal-procedure ?
>
> Take the example proposal from the commons charter, adjust it
> accordingly and mail it to the list ?

Yes, preferably providing links to the source code if you've got some.

> Or is commons not the proper branch inside the jakarta hierarchy ?

I think that sounds like an appropriate commons component.

You also might want to take a look at the "Torque" mini-project within
Turbine, http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque.html, which takes an XML
description of a datamodel and generates the appropriate DDL script for
several databases.  It seems related, and potentially expandable to meet
your requirements as well.