From: Aaron Smuts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 2:00 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cache

Are there any plans on implementing a system to keep share cached data
across multiple vm's and machines?  The turbine cache looks like a local
cache without propagation or remote control.

I've been working on and using a local remote caching system for a couple of
years that is very similar to the jcache proposal from Oracle.

http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_107_cache.html

We've constructed a composite caching system that is configured like log4j
appenders.  There are local memory, disk waterfall, rmi remote, and db
options for each cache group.  I've used variations of the system at
inside.com to control to give the publishing system a centralized control.
I'm working on something similar for a property management asp to keep
semi-dynamic data in synch across 10+ web servers, app servers, and
scripting boxes.

My team would like to build a new open-source system that might provide an
implementation of the proposed caching api.  Without an open source
implementation the api will be really just be a description of Oracle9i.

It seems like this would be a useful addition to Turbine.  I can describe
what I have in mind in more detail if anyone is interested.

(I also want to know about task duplication in the scheduler when there are
multiple instances of Turbine running.)

Aaron