> IMHO, I think that (small) components shouldn't log anything.

And with the logging component, you are free to discard all
logging information.
But other people do wnat components to log. Morgan seems to,
I do, and I'm sure other people do.

Craig and yourself seem not to have a need, which is well and
good, but I don't think it's a good idea to force users to
hack into the modules in order to add their own logging.

I don't care whether Jakarta compoents use Log4j, LogKit or
a new component.
But I do want to have components I use provide additional
information when I need it, and it seems that (some) committers
are unhappy with trying Log4j into their components, so
another solution is needed.

My non-voting +1.