I've started work in the sandbox on a new sub-project I've called messenger
which is an attempt to provide a lightweight and easy to use facade over JMS
together with a standard Servlet for sending and receiving messages from a
JMS connection.

There's not much code there right now, though there is part of the API.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/messenger/

JMS can be quite tricky to use since its not as polymorphic as it could be
and has far too much deployment configuration details in the core API. Also
its threading model doesn't fit perfectly well with servlets or taglibs as
is - some pooling is required.

So I've started putting together a simple facade called Messenger which
should give a simpler interface to working with JMS and should take care of
the configuration, construction and pooling issues. The intention is for
Messenger to use Jakarta Commons Pool for pooling sessions and other
resources.

When its available the JMSServlet could be deployed in any web application
to provide simple web access to sending & receiving JMS messages. This
project will be used in a JMS taglib at some point soon. Messenger could
also be used on some other Apache projects. e.g. log4j supports JMS logging
so it might be easier & more flexible, one day, to use messenger rather than
the JMS API directly. Also maybe future SOAP related projects such as Axis
might find messenger useful for using JMS as a transport.

James