>i couldn't help noticing that the build.xml uses a <java> (ant) task to
>perform the tests. the latest version of ant has quite a nice task that
>does junit testing that i've used before and i think works pretty well.

>>In particular, I might be a stick in the mud, but I'd like it to still run
>>on the Ant 1.3 production release :-).  As long as that works, I'm fine
>>with updating to Ant's internal JUnit task.

I'm all for the <junit> task actually (it gives better output among other
features), but in the spirit of "Don't take down a fence unless you know the
reason it was put up in the first place", just a reminder:

We had originally set up several of the commons build scripts to use the
<junit> task rather than a <java> task, and then changed it back because the
former required a particular (although not difficult) configuration of Ant
to work properly (namely setting up the junit task itself), while <java>
simply required the right classpath.