Has anyone tried crystal based oscillators like this one for an RTC? I
have one, but did not try it on RTC. You just add GND + 5v and get an
output.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1K-NDK-1264-14-31818MHZ-FULL-SIZE-CRYSTAL-OSCILLATORS_W0QQitemZ150421091303QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2305cbb3e7

Maybe search the net for a datasheet and see if you can find something
about accuracy.

Matt.