Hi Rob,

2010/11/24 Rob Hamerling <[email protected]>
>
> Maybe good to tell (partly repeat) my way of working.
> [...]


OK, thanks for the recall, I remembered most of this though :)


>
> Now about your suggestion: when I understand you correctly you want to keep
> two or more 'generations' of device files (something like we had in the
> beginning of Jallib with 'validated' and 'unvalidated') and replace
> validated files selectively (one-by-one) when these proved to be OK.


No, I wouldn't want to keep two or more, but just one, under SVN. Then, a
new generation would be put on your local SVN copy (not on the repos). It
would overwrite existing ones, maybe add new ones, etc... You can then use
"svn diff" to see the differences. But seeing the differences is not the
main part of this, and you have developed a quite advanced way to do this.
What I mean then is you can then commit some of them, not all, only which
seem to be correct. Currently, if I understand, this is a one, big step,
taking all new device files at once. Breaking this into several small unit
would allow to selectively choose which are good. (maybe not 100% related,
we could also make dev2jal a online tool, where you could upload a device
file and it would generates a jal file...)

Well, I don't know if it makes sense and, most importantly, if it would
help...

And, I thought about this looking at the video about "a visual history of
jallib", where I could see a Jedi Master dealing, all at once, with huge
amount of green spheres, organized as two big globes (device & blink),
whereas many little ants are busy walking here and there... Maybe you are
our Yoda :)


> I'm not so sure this is desirable, mostly because it is much more work and
> the benefit is marginal (I think). You can always go back to a previous
> revision.


Yes, but a previous revision includes *all* device files (though you could
select which file in SVN to revert to previous version). One particular
device file could be interesting to keep, whereas another would need to get
back to a previous revision.


> After all the current contents of Jallib is a development situation. With a
> new release we do some more checks and tests and freeze it. Users may prefer
> such a release over a last-minute development, which is up to them.
>

Yes, sure !


Cheers,
Seb

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to