Hi Matt!

  The other sample of mine uses the osc in pin as the signal
  input. It can measure a frequency equivalent to the max pic
  osc frequency. So on 18f67j50, i could measure up to 64mhz.
  This one would require the 1hz input for sure.

Sorry for me disagreeing a bit... But this very chip only runs up to 48MHz. A
18f26k22 e.g. however can indeed use 64MHz CLKIN. That one would accept 50MHz
as TMR1 clock input, so the additional bit of countable frequency is not so
very much. I'd say, 50MHz is the limit, if I need more, I'll go for an external
prescaler. Using CLKIN as a counting input is a bit of an ugly hack and it
should never be done without using the watchdog.

Greets,
Kiste