Hans, designing a thing to work at -20C+45C and IP67 (protected from dust
and rain from all directions) is a very difficult task, even if you'll use
something like Kiste pointed to ( I have the Japanese resistive version of
that position sensor in 2% linearity).  One thing you should care about is
the dew point.
https://www.vaisala.com/en/expert-article/dew-point-temperature-what-does-it-mean-and-how-can-it-be-calculated
That's because you will have humidity even in a completely closed box. The
most dangerous temperature for dewpoint in my area is around +8C.
The only way you can avoid moisture problems is to immerse your PCB
completely in transformer varnish ( several times, not once) and dry it
each time after. Of course no more HW debugging after that.
P.S: I think your wife is right. :)
best wishes,