Chris,

Avalon-Phoenix has an FtpServer too.  It can run in the same VM as
JAMES.  There was talk some time back about morging of "user" orientated
comps.  JAMES, as it happens, is a couple of releases behind the current
Phoenix, but is catching up.

I think it is fatal as an excercise to coerce Phoenix to run something
in theway you want.  JAMES_HOME as a concept does not exist for JAMES as
a Phoenic app.  The James blocks can work out their "unpack" dir via
BlockContext but not anything that exists at environment var level....
Phoenix has moved away from that.

You say the hard coded paths are a poblem in the way Phonix impls them.
 Not so, Phoenix is the platform on which server apps should run.

I am lead to believe in summary that what you are trying to do is
un-Phoenix.  Phoenix takes SAR files (multiple) and is always laucnhed
by its supplied run.bat or run.sh.  Sorry dude.

I think you have answered Silvios questions well enough for me to ignore.

- Paul