> There was already a thread on james-dev as a result of the bugzilla
> modification (see emails of 7/2/02), but point taken.  Attached is the
> diff.

> This patch is designed to resolve bug #6340 in the least intrusive way -
> by keeping the scope of the AUTH PLAIN specific argument parsing to
> within the doAuth method.

Critique:

1) Possibly my fault, but I only see the bugzilla report on 7/02/02.  No
actual discussion.

2) Attaching patches to bugzilla is not the recognized way to get them
accepted.

3) Danny already commented about patch format.

4) As far as I can see, your e-mail (above) has more information about what
the patch is, and how it works, than the patch.

The point is this: as Danny just admitted, he's been so busy with his
day-job that he hasn't even had time (for close to a month, at least, it
seems) to review contributions.  So if we agree that it is necessary for the
James developer community at large to help vet submissions, then we have to
help ourselves out by:

(a) submitting fixes in the documented format so that a committer can easily
apply them.
(b) make sure that patches are against the CVS head
(c) ideally in the code, but at least in e-mail, tell us what you're fixing
and how the fix works, so that we can all review it.

I firmly believe that each of these things contributes to smooth adoption of
patches.

People should read http://jakarta.apache.org/james/code-standards.html and
definitely http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html.

        --- Noel