I think that there are a couple of points on which I am not being quite
clear enough.

*Avalon dependencies*

I understand and agree with the objections to Avalon dependencies in the
mailet container.  I think that JAMES should continue to use Avalon, but
care should be taken to ensure that the JAMES design is not not infected
with dependencies on Avalon.  Rather, the JAMES _implementation_ of the
mailet container should _use_ whatever avalon services it finds useful.
Similarly, in my mailets, I should not be _required_ to make my mailet into
an Avalon block, but I would like to be able to.  (I guess this is probably
harder than it sounds, but it would still be nice.)

*Mailet Container vs MailListener*

My objection to having to embed the entire Mailet container is not a
particularly strong one - if I have to embed the whole thing, that will not
be the end of the world - but here are a few reasons:
     *    Using a mailet container implies configuration of processors,
mailets, etc.  This is an administrative overhead that is simply
unnecessary if you are not using that functionality.
     *    Writing to spool implies that you must provide a place on disk to
write to info.  Not the end of the world, but again - unnecessary.  An
in-memory spool manager implementation would help here.

As far as life cycle issues go - yes lifecycle support for mailets is
important.  There are many cases, however, where an application will have
its own way of addressing these issues.  When a requirement then crops up
to start receiving mail, I do not want to be forced to by in to a whole new
design approach, (however good it may be,) just to do this.

To address Peter's comments about listeners vs managed components:  The JMS
API *does* give you the opportunity to receive JMS messages without
implementing a MessageDrivenBean.  This is an excellent analogy.  I am not
forced to do the whole J2EE appserver thing in order to use JMS.  I can if
a want the whole lifecycle thing, but I don't have to.  That is the point.
JAMES restricts developers to the appserver approach (JAMES being the
appserver, in this case,) instead of giving the flexibility.  This is not
necessary.

I hope I am not harping on about this subject too much.  I just seems like
the right time to discuss it, leading up to v3.

Cheers

ADK

There is no magic.

Have you seen our website?.... http://www.vodafone.co.nz

CAUTION: This correspondence is confidential and intended for the named recipient(s)
only.
If you are not the named recipient and receive this correspondence in error, you must
not copy,
distribute or take any action in reliance on it and you should delete it from your
system and
notify the sender immediately.  Thank you.

Unless otherwise stated, any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do
not represent those of Vodafone New Zealand Limited.

Vodafone New Zealand Limited
21 Pitt Street, Private Bag 92161, Auckland, 1020, New Zealand
Telephone + 64 9 357 5100
Facsimile + 64 9 377 0962