+1 to removing named authors, but -0 putting to @author james dev team... I
don't think an author tag is worth having at all.

With regards to naming/maintaining contributors, the policy I had been using
(a long while back) is as follows:
- if you get a patch (or a great bug report) from someone, you put their
name and email address in the commit message.
- when you update the changelog, you can either attribute a change to the
committer, or the person mentioned in the commit message if it is so
specified.
- if it's a new person, you add their name and email address to the top of
the changelog (so you can define the new initials... you have to see the xml
file to understand).

I think it's important to credit in the changelogs of who did what, as the
changelog is the real meassure of the vitality and velocity of the project,
and the people doing that deserve recognition (IMHO).  This continues the
shift away from @author tags, which credit who *did* what, to changelogs,
which credit who *is doing* what.

Am I just getting too vitriolic at this point?

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/