Noel,

> When we actually have to copy the files over to do the release, I
think
> that
> we can do this.  I really don't see it as a problem.  I'm looking at
the
> XML
> document now, and will try to work with it.
>
> Our downloads don't appear to be a significant resource drain by
> themselves,
> but the language on http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html implies
that
> this
> is a priority for the ASF: "Any project willing to use the ASF
> infrastructure to distribute source, binary and documentation builds
> archive
> must follow the following guidelines."
>
> If folks want, I'll take the lead responsibility for getting this page
> done.
> If I run into problems (daedelus access), I'll let you know.

And this is exactly what I don't want.

You have already signed up to manage another aspect of the release
process (most notably compiling a list of outlets and notifying them of
James' existence).  How will you taking on this responsibility affect
that one?  It will delay it of course.  And as I think the former is
much more important than the latter (as you mention above, we're not a
substantial drain on resources), I think this is a bad call.

The legalese argument simply doesn't apply (there is exactly one project
that currently follows these guidelines, and notification didn't come
from the ASF but rather from a concerned contributor).

So, while I may be in danger of beating a dead horse, I veto this with a
-1.

--Peter