Thanks Danny -

I understand you explaination - this is to be a behaviour of
the smpt handler and not necessarily a function of
configuration/mailets.

this is an important function - to properly notify the
sender of any problems in receiving the mail.

what i am not too sure of is the flow - in theory, James
receives mail and then processes it via the *Processor
Pipe*. one of the mailets is responsible for validating the
recipient (makes sure that the user exists) - if not, the
mail is processed accorindgly based on the configuration and
the appropreate error message should be returned to the
sennding server. my dilemma is that at this point the
sending server has already been be notified of sucess, the
mail in question has been passed off to James....

i see potential a catch-22 situation here - which is a litle
bit different then the original problem i expereinced with
the db failing where the sender should have been notified.

thanks,
alan

Alan Gerhard
Gerhard Computing, Inc.