----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen McConnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> No. I'm not suggesting *using* unrelease code.
> #2 is getting the Gump descriptor for James sorted - that does not
> effect you day to day work.

Right, I understand your intention.  I think I see that you're treating Gump
as a step towards having that better Avalon release process, so that sounds
good.

My concern is that we end up relying on this compilation check *at the
expense of other support*.  As an example, the (very frustrating) file
repository change that started numbering instances, which didn't change the
API and would not have been caught with Gump.  I'm looking to Avalon to
build a better release process so more changes could be clear to James.  I'm
also slightly concerned that Gump would give James or Avalon developers
false confidence to start making changes that could have unintentended
consequences or use code that in the end wasn't going to get released.

> I would really like to sucessfully validate the candidates against James
> before proposing releases.

Ok.

> I've updated corenerstone so that each component that James is depedent
> on has its own build procedure and release version.  This means that (a)
> your not carrying around code for components you are not using, (b) your
> migrating to something that is supported, and (c) furture evolution of
> components can be managed properly.

Ok.  I really appreciate your changes as it would be great to get on an
Avalon release, and if an early warning system can help you support Avalon
and make it easier to propose upgrades for James, then that's great.  I'd
rather not be one of those people getting the early warning messages though
if possible. :)

Anyway, I think we're both heading in the same direction... we want James on
an Avalon release (and cleaner code and more avalon adoption).  Seems like
most of our chat was how we would prioritize achieving those differently,
but they're pretty close in the end.

Again, much appreciated.

Serge Knystautas
Lokitech