What I am very interested in is the contract between a mailet and its container (which is more than the Mailet API itself). My impression is that part of the puzzle is largely missing.
I agree that this needs addressing. The JNDI config proposal would go some way toward addressing this, in that it would specify that any resources provided by the Container would be provided via JNDI, and that their names would be specified by the mailet (as are the names of configuration parameters in any system). The minimum resources required of any container would have to be identified.

Cheers

ADK