Jason Webb wrote:
I've been doing some testing with 2.1 (jdk 1.4.1, Javamail 1.3) under
Win2k.

I've constructed a testing that sends 5 mails/sec into James. The
messages are destined for another remote server (relay). Running the VM
with -Xloggc on there is a slow and persitant memory leak.

James is keeping up with the incoming mail volume quite easily. Even
when I stop the incoming mail, the memory still persists (and is never
freed). Lacing the code with periodic GC's never frees the memory
either.
Any suggestions?
That isn't really detecting memory leaks... normal (non-leaking) Java code will gradually allocate more memory to the heap. The question is if there are incorrectly maintained references over time, and you'll have to use a profiling tool to determine that.

I'm not saying there isn't a slow memory leak with any part of James, just that -Xloggc won't tell you either way.

--
Serge Knystautas
President