I received a inquiry via private e-mail.  Since I suspect that more than one
person wants to know the answers, here goes:

  1.  get the latest code from the cvs
      (see: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html)
  2.  make your changes,
  3.  build and test your changes
      ($./build.sh or c:\>build.bat)
  4.  do a "cvs diff -u", redirecting the output to a file.
      (see: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html#Patches)
  5.  e-mail the file AS AN ATTACHMENT to james-dev@

  - Please do not use other diff tools.
  - Please do not diff between your original and your changed
    version.  Other changes may have been made in the interim.
    cvs diff -u will ensure that the patch is made against the
    current HEAD.

If you are on linux, cvs is included in most distros.  If you are on
Windows, there are several good CVS GUIs.  WinCVS and Tortoise seem to be
popular.  Please do not use jCVS.  I have it and like it, but it has one
problem with respect to our CVS.  We have a requirement for consistent line
termination.  jCVS converts to whatever the platform's line termination is,
which corrupts the files on Windows.

        --- Noel