> What is the current art in this area?  I haven't looked to
> see what qmail, sendmail, postfix, et al, do in terms of
> any common log format

It seems to be dependent upon the package; SendMail uses
levels - up to 20 and can log based on SMTP error codes I am
told.

Maybe the focus here would be on what the over user base
requires; day-to-day administration is one level,
administration trouble-shooting is at another, aduit-trail
at another, and so on.

Though the idea of using (a) standard log format(s) I like.

Another thing to thing about is to have a centralized point
from which logging would occur, independent from what
individual mailets do.