> Sorry, I didn't know of 421 and 554.  Having read them, I don't know why
> we would support them.

Because it isn't hard, and provides additional options to the e-mail admin?

> if you send these, you have to keep the connection open and continue to
> accept commands and return 503 until you get a QUIT.

I'd thought of that, but it is easy to catch at the top of the loop.

> What is the deal with this ProtocolResponse class name?  These are two
> very different functions.  One addresses a TCP connect request and one
> is a SMTP command reply.

The "ProtocolResponse" class would be used for returning a [code,
text]-tuple.  It fills the role that you had referred to as a "struct-like"
class.

> > I'm just not sure why acceptRecipient needs to know anything more
> > than the address.  For example, it isn't responsible for SMTP AUTH.

> Err, why not?

Because it would make writing these filters more complicated, and less
modular?  My preference is towards smaller bits of specific functionality.

        --- Noel