Noel J. Bergman wrote:
- if the RFC says "the [receiver] MUST/MUST NOT [blah blah]," we should
not be lenient.

When the RFC does not permit us to be lenient, we should not be lenient.

Noel,

I wonder if we are reading section 2.3.7, and especially this sentence, the same way.

"Conforming implementations MUST NOT recognize or generate any other character or character sequence as a line terminator."

The way I read it, it says nothing about CR or LF appearing alone in the input stream except that they must not be recognized as a line terminator. It leaves open the possibility that CR and LF could appear individually in the input stream -- but we must not treat them as line terminators.

If you agree with the Postel philosophy, and if we read that sentence the same way, then I would expect you to say we should not 501 upon receipt of a misplaced CR or LF; that may be a time to be lenient.

Rich