Noel J. Bergman wrote:
It would be very simple to code a JDBC based block list matcher, but why
don't you simply create a local DNS zone, and populate the zone file?

I've already got the database open, so I'd rather keep all the relative info there.

And actually, in the back of my mind, I've been thinking about how to make these personal blacklists sharable... kinda a napster-blacklist.

But anyway, what it did lead me to was the idea of having the blacklist matcher point at the *message store*. As spam fills my spam folder, when it was something I wanted to blacklist, I would copy it from my spam store to my blacklist store. Then the matcher would look for any messages from the sending IP address in this blacklist store, and if so, would say "leave me alone, you already sent me 4,230 messages on June 12th". This also preserves the evidence for why I blacklist them.

Yes, I'm probably overthinking this, which was why I was wondering what people's experience was with blacklisting IP addresses in general. I also am finding that for certain spammers, they seem to have a full C-class available to them, so I end up just blocking that last octet. My blacklist store wouldn't handle that (just yet).

--
Serge Knystautas
President