> I'm more interested in the brute-force method; accept any mail which has
> non compliant address
> and then translate the upper/mixed-case address to
> lower case, and also notify the sender that his/her destination address
> was not RFC compliant.

 You don't know that it is non-compliant vis-a-vis case, unless you know the
intention of the sender.
 They might send to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (which user may not exist) in good faith
simply because that is the address they have been given.
 In which case it is not a non-compliant address, the case is that "no valid
user of this name exists in this domain" even if [EMAIL PROTECTED] does exist as
a valid username in the domain.

If your system is case insensitive because the sysadmin has decreed all
usernames to be treated as case-insensitive (perhaps to map directly onto
case-insensitive treatment of usernames by some other part of the network)
you can deliver [EMAIL PROTECTED] mail to user james, and know it is going to
the right guy.

This isn't non-comliance on the part of the sender, it is non-compliance on
*your* part, because you ought to have configured your system to return the
mail as undeliverable...

The fact that your actions are more helpful dosen't make them right. So, by
all means treat usernames as case insensitive, but watch your step about
what you notify the sender.

Phew, lecture over, class dismissed ;)