Hi,

as far as I know it is planned that some day JAMES will shut down itself
after receiving some kind of signal. I don't know if this command will be
sent by tcp/ip or whatever they are planning. For the moment the only way to
shutdown JAMES is to shutdown the VM, which in turn is best shutdown by
sending it a SIGINT like you do by ctrl-c. It is more question of shell
programming to ease this process. All programs which are not controlled by
some kind of IPC are shutdown by either looking up their pid in the process
table or in the pid file. I dont know which distribution you are using but
all should have convenient scripts or programs to help you writing a script
to accomplish this: startproc, pidof, killall, killproc, daemon, ........

Cheers,
 Marcus