> This thread is so pervasive I'm going to actually install james2.0 in the
> end...

It should be well worth it if you're using DB repositories, we've removed
the dependance on Town, made the SQL alterable without re-compilation, and
as long as James has permission to create tables in your maildb you can
"fire and forget", simply by refering to new tables in the config causes
them to be created as needed.
The caveat is that James is still officially in alpha, so not all of the
features will necessarily work in all situations.

> - according to SUN, CLOB is *TOO* large, in fact somewhere in jdbc lib
>   you may find a:
>   int getPrecision(int nr_column);
>
>   returning the max dimension on a table column:
>
>   it works for LONG -> 2^31 <= Integer.MAX_INT
>   it won't for CLOB -> 2^32  > Integer.MAX_INT

Thats a little nasty, thanks for the heads up.

> g/ if count(*) is greater, then trouble comes when POP tries to read
> h/ finally, the mapping MAIL_MESSAGES<->DB is (or was?) straightforward
>    one message : one record in the table;

Still true

>    if it is still that, then SELECT BODY FROM TABLE
>    should return the info;

If youre using repository type db: (as opposed to dbfile:)
The body is stored in cleartext as recieved (thats to say an RFC822 message,
complete with headers), the column name is message_body

Therefore John's unreadable message_body problem looks puzzling.

d.