We have a james server running on our system. We turned on SMTP AUTH

My friend can connect over the internet with his windows 98 machine with
MS outlook.
it work just fine. It takes his name and address everything works.

NOW When I try to connect with mozilla 1.0 or Apple mail on OSX

Or mozilla running under linux and none of them will do the auth, and
send the mail.
They all complain about needing auth, or in the case of mozilla, they
just keep
asking for the password.

I even tried outlook express under mac os 9.2. no such luck.

I looked in the james-user archive and couldn't find anything about this.

Am I doing something wrong? Is smtp auth different on different
platforms?

Help....

David Rodal
  (I sure hope I'm sending this the right place)