Dave,

Because it's relatively new and we haven't gotten to it yet.  Support
for STARTTLS is not really that widespread yet.  You'll note that there
are a number of much older, much more common extensions that are not yet
supported.  That's one of my goals for the release after the current one
- expanded and configurable SMTP extension configuration.

--Peter