> How can I supply the notice w/out configuring it in config.xml

you can write the error_message with mail.setErrorMessage("blah");

> Is there a better approach for what I'm trying to do.

in your custom processor use Redirect, rather than "forward" or "notify", redirect has
options for various types of attachment and inline content, including attaching the
original as a mail message.
http://jakarta.apache.org/james/javadocs/org/apache/james/transport/mailets/Redirect.html

d.

PS failed delivery bounces are coded in to James, you might not be able to get at them
to use.