From: Chris Sereda [mailto:chris.sereda@;keen.ca]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 20:04
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: JDBC and MultiPart MIME

I'm a newbie with James so I apologize for my awkward questions.

Using JAMES 2.1a1 with JDBC.
I am wondering if the following is possible with James:

James receives a 'multipart' email, then separates the message into a text
only body and a file (the multipart attachment).  James stores the text body
in JDBC and the file(s) in the file system.  The JDBC message entry would
contain a column (named multipartid) with a unique id that refers to a
folder on the file system that contains the attachment(s).

For example, let's say James receives a 'multipart' message to
'test@localhost', with attachment 'attach1.zip'.  The text body only would
be stored in the JDBC message store with a column, 'multipartid', set to
'756573843784' (just examples).  The attachment portion remaining would be
saved as file 'attach1.zip' in directory '756573843784' of a file system
store.  As a result the attachments from that message are referenced by the
unique id.

I'm sorry if this sounds crazy but I'm going somewhere with this.

A web application could be created to view the message body via JDBC.  Then
a URL to download the attachment would refer to
'.....756573843784/attach1.zip'

This would allow the attachment to be downloaded via the HTTP web server, as
opposed to pulling it from JDBC as one big message body.  Is any of this
possible ?

Thanks to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] for their input on my
previous questions, greatly appreciated.