> I am a bit concerned woth the overall process of getting
> the mails to the scan directory and then back into the
> mail pipeleine.

Can he point the scanner at the spool directory, and use a file based spool?
Wouldn't that eliminate moving the data?

> being able to store mail in one of the 'standard formats'

We just reached a consensus on this on james-dev.  For James v3, the current
plan is to use JavaMail as the storage interface.  In addition to the
current formats, we'll also have mbox and maildir.

        --- Noel