Or use JMX to stop() phoenix.  Suitable containers include MX4J
(included with Phoenix) and Jboss.  Use Web browser to connect to HTTP
Adatper or use MC4J.

I use JBoss and stop() start() works fine.  There are a couple of minor
cleanup issues in James which I need to submit as patches, once I get my
sources synced and tidied up, but these don't prevent it working.

Steve