"As an ISP, in my experience, not all resolvers will deal
with DNS servers that do not do recursive lookups for them.
Therefore, if you are running a public DNS (excluding root
servers), it is imperative that the DNS does recursion. If
there is no answer because of a lack of recursive lookups,
then that /is/ the answer - and this is the desired
response."

FWIW -
this is a response from my colleague that runs a commercial
ISP.